Mundane Murmurs

Talk about the boring and ordinary world that is my life.

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

What should be a simple purchase

Today at lunchtime I went to buy a DVD, not a hard task, I knew what I was looking for and, I (wrongly) thought I would be in and out. It is school holidays and every child known to man is hanging out in the shop I want to go to – doesn’t matter which shop, they are there. I wouldn’t want to give the impression that I don’t like kids, I am just as happy as your every day average Joe to stand next to the mother who is ignoring her crying child in the supermarket line.

But back to the story, I am filled with hope that this time the sales assistant will know the movie I ask for and take me straight to it. Or for an even more amazing event that as I walk into the “home entertainment” section of the store, it will be looking right at me, on sale (Yippee!!) and I can pick it up, buy it and leave.

But as I walk to the DVD’s an impending feeling of doom encompasses me. I see the Sales girl – some late teen/twenty something that has a job in a department store – so you already know she’s got it going on (all I can say is for teenage boy Sales assistant is they usually know all about the Indy flicks that I am also partial to, so if you ask them if they have a particular movie they usually know what movie you’re talking about).

So I deviate to the shelves hoping to spot said flick. I scan the specials isle, well not actually a scan more like a 10 to 20 minute look under that one, move that across just in case it’s underneath there, to no avail. Ok now to the alphabetised section, what I am looking for should, I say SHOULD very loosely, be under the letter C. But of the, oh I don’t know, maybe 10 titles filed under this letter that actually begin with C, I don’t see it. I then turn to the opposite isle and catch a glance of the letter T. To my shock and horror, what do I see? The Last Samurai (haven’t seen it, don’t love the Cruise), “The” this and “The” that………. So much for the alphabet, I am never going to find what I am looking for! I glance once again toward the sales girl, looks as though this is going to be my only option. I walk over and once she finally acknowledges me, the conversation goes a lot like this:

Me: “Hi, have you got Blah?” (OK this is not actually the name of the movie – that’s not particularly relevant – and Blah start with the letter B).

Her: “Oh, I’ve never heard of it, what’s it called again?”

I must at this point put a previous response from a sales girl on a previous occasion where the above sentence stopped at the word “it”. I was in a super bad mood and answered with “So you’re telling me that because you have never heard of it, it doesn’t exist? Do you know of every movie ever made?” I think at this point I walked off, this wasn’t in my home town (wouldn’t want to get black listed) and I was beyond caring at that point.

To continue……

Me “Blah”.

Her: “Oh, you sure that’s it’s name?”

Me “Yes, I’m sure”

Her “Did you look under C?”

Me “Yes, I did.”

Her “Oh well, we mustn’t have it”.

No offer to find it, no looking at the famed computer. At this point I am quite close to strangling the girl. But as you can go to jail for this, I turn, without a thank you (this is as rude as I can make myself be in a public forum (where I may just return)) and walk away.

I think of how this happens every single time I go into this store and I berate myself for doing it over and over again.

The definition of stupidity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

One day I will learn. To finish the story on a good note, my mum gave me an internet site to order DVD’s from that kicks ass, they have every single movie I could possibly dream of, even the “Are you sure that’s it’s name?” one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Truth is a Matter of Perspective Site Ring
Ring Owner: Seeker Site: Truth is a Matter of Perspective
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Free Site Ring form Bravenet