Mundane Murmurs

Talk about the boring and ordinary world that is my life.

Thursday, July 15, 2004

My fridge

Tonight I opened my fridge, hoping the grocery fairy had filled it up with food. But I guess she had skipped past my house once again. The fridge though, had a weird, skanky smell emanating from it. The smell, even though I am not completely familiar with it, is I am sad to say, vaguely familiar. You see, I regularly do my best to breed new forms of life in my vegetable crisper, although I didn’t think anything in there would have this level of smell. Braving the new life forms they may leap and destroy me I opened the draw to have a look. Some cauliflower, a half squashed tomato (which has no visible mould (and I threw away)). But nothing else there. The other drawer, carrots (god only knows how long they have been there as I don’t eat them – but they looked fine so they stayed), Broccoli (I don’t care what Clinton says, I love Broccoli) some Chives and a very suspicious looking, very mouldy piece of pumpkin, this also got thrown away but the smell remained. I think if I bought vegetables at the shop and just immediately threw them away I would save all this hassle.

As I desperately need to do some shopping all my fridge has on the shelves is a block of cheese, some leftovers from last week (also hit the bin, but still not the culprits of the smell) and a plethora of half full jars and bottles ranging from jam to tomato sauce. Two bottles of wine and a bottle of Bailey’s (well a girls gotta have her comforts).

And then I see it, half hidden behind the leftovers I just turfed and the wine. Half a Pineapple, now to add a bit of perspective here, it is the middle of winter and I can’t recall eating any form of fresh fruit (that wasn’t an apple) since Summer, this means this Pineapple would have been in it’s secret hiding spot for months. And looking at it you could tell, it still looked like a Pineapple, except for the colour, it had a strange pinky-orange coloured film across the top of the cut section and the outside had turned a dark brown. So out she went too.

Now with little Miss Stinky sitting in my bin (well…if you consider a plastic shopping bag hanging from the kitchen cupboard handle a bin) I also had to empty that, ok empty isn’t really the right word, throw the bag away is probably more to the point. Now I always thought I could handle bad smells, but the bin outside sits in the sun and has something very nasty going on with it also. So I walk out to the bin, hold my breath, lift the lid, drop the garbage in, shut the lid and step away as quickly as possible so I could breathe once again. One day I will hose it out…..one day…… So I come back inside, have cheese on toast for dinner (again) and vow to go shopping tomorrow.


4 Comments:

  • At 2:50 am, Blogger Seeker said…

    I am curious to see if you realize that you listed all the contents and did a play-by-play concerning their removal. I have no idea as to why I found this amusing but it made me chuckle.... I guess perhaps it is the outcast in me heart ;)

     
  • At 6:42 am, Blogger Seeker said…

    I would also like to add that you need to post more, I like your style of writing and it is a good read. although boring for the most part (Evil chuckle). Do this and I'll add you to my links section... can't stand to check a blog and see nothing posted for 2weeks at a time ;)

     
  • At 10:38 am, Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said…

    I agree!
    I just love Aussie bloggers.

    You're terrible Muriel! LOL

    Waiting to read more.

     
  • At 11:44 pm, Blogger Nord said…

    Seeker, yes I know it was an item by item removal, not very exciting I know, but the blog thing is new to me and I find it a bit of a challenge to think of new stories every day, I also started this blog as I wanted to put comments on blogs but not to write (yet) myself. That said I will get on it. I have to think of something else to write about, I may have to go back into the past for some stories.

    Trish, I can Oz up the stories for you especially but you would need an Australian slang book to interpret it, but it gives me a good idea.... I loved Muriel’s wedding, have you seen Priscilla Queen of the Dessert? Funny stuff.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Truth is a Matter of Perspective Site Ring
Ring Owner: Seeker Site: Truth is a Matter of Perspective
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Free Site Ring form Bravenet