Mundane Murmurs

Talk about the boring and ordinary world that is my life.

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Champagne taste on a beer income

The title is a saying that my grandmother uses, it doesn’t really apply to me much anymore as I have a job with a decent wage (ok, well…kinda) and I can (generally – let’s not get carried away here) afford whatever I want.

I don’t think of myself as a snob. But if you analyse it, perhaps I am. I blame my mother – snobs after all are made not born. This is why…

My sister, a tiny tot at the time, maybe 3ish, before she was at school, rushed in to tell mum some fantastic news. (For background I am 24 years older than her, just in case you think my memory is outstanding, it wasn’t that long ago for me).

“Mummy, I can spell car!” An impressive statement for someone so young.

So to call her bluff, ‘Ok then Sweetpea, spell car for me’.

Wait for it…..

“B M W” 3’s happy, smiling face showing how smart she thinks she is… (Once again for background, at the time mum’s car was a BMW, black, sunroof, the works, very nice… and the little chicken was reading back the letters written across the back of the car – smart kid really).

But, what can I say she’s doomed…… we’re all doomed!

Now this brings me to the point that in my family we’re all brought up this way, had a good life, lots of nice things (mostly – nothing is perfect) and then are cast to the world to fend for ourselves (ok we are usually 17 or 18 before this happens).

Now I have lived in Pov (erty) alley, I have flatted with others where we have eaten a can of potatoes (did you know they came in cans? Neither did we, but we found one in the back of the cupboard) with some cheese melted on them as a meal – isn’t it funny how you always seem to have cheese, maybe because it just lasts for so long.

Now both my brothers are at this stage one is 18 and a student, the other, 20 dropped out, oh sorry, my mistake, “took a year off” his studies to work as a cook for a certain fried chicken chain.

Now 20 constantly complains about how mum always has the nicest of things and that he can’t afford to buy any of this (oh, poor, poor 20 – get a better job! Cooking fried chicken, surprisingly enough, actually doesn’t pay all that well…). But don’t feel too sorry for him. Both of my brothers live together, in a house the parents bought (and yes it was for them) they pay a pittance of rent and whenever mum goes to visit (which is fortnightly) she buys their groceries. Am I bitter? Nooooooo…..I’m not like that at all.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:08 am, Blogger Pup said…

    Oh I SO miss living under the shelter of the parents. I used to hate it. Then I was on my own and eating potatoes out of can like you. I miss their visits now.

    Of course now, I eat potatoes not cause I can't afford things, but am just too lazy to go to the store.

    We have a beer here in the states and it's slogan is the champagne of beer. You can get a 12 pack for about $8. Classy :)

     
  • At 8:07 am, Blogger Tsarina said…

    Hmm, mom drives a BMW, parents bought house for kids, you really messed up by moving out! Move home NOW (if you don't, I will!)

     
  • At 12:11 am, Blogger Traci Dolan said…

    Pffffffft! I would rather live in Pov Alley (Oh, I DO!) than move back in with my parents. Peanut butter lasts forever too. I buy it in 4lb. tubs for my son. Here's to living large on champagne, I mean beer, I mean bread and water... ;o)

     
  • At 2:42 pm, Blogger JamDaddy said…

    How do you spell LANDLORD?
    M U M
    Really? I thought that spelled groceries...

     
  • At 10:48 pm, Blogger Nord said…

    Pup – I used to want to go back home, save all that money it costs living alone, blah, blah, but then I went home to visit for three weeks and by the end I couldn’t take it anymore – I love the parents but I think once you get older you need to be apart. I have a phone – I can call.

    Tsarina – Yeah, well I have done my time there, so anyhow, the parents address is....

    Inanna – I hear that, I would never go back now, mostly it’s because I am older and won’t be told what to do by them anymore, they say they treat you like the adult you are, but when I as a 33 year old get quizzed on where I have been, no it’s too much.

    JD – Thanks for stopping by – yes this is how my brother spells a lot of things...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Truth is a Matter of Perspective Site Ring
Ring Owner: Seeker Site: Truth is a Matter of Perspective
Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet Free Site Ring from Bravenet
Free Site Ring form Bravenet